Hans Herzog Sauvignon Blanc ‘Sur Lie’ 2016
$55.00 inc. GST
5 stars – Michael Cooper
“Outside the regional mainstream, the 2016 vintage was estate-grown and hand-picked on the north side of the Wairau Valley, fermented with indigenous yeasts in French oak puncheons, and wood-aged for 15 months. Light yellow/green, it has good weight and mouthfeel, with concentrated, ripe tropical-fruit flavours, impressive complexity and a dry, finely textured finish. Retasted in 2019, it’s delicious now. Certified organic.” – Michael Cooper
Tasting Note: Beautiful fruit flavours and elegance are conveyed through careful handling of these wonderful grapes. Whole bunched pressed with 80% fermented by indigenous yeast in 500lt French oak puncheons with regular lees stirring. Natural secondary malolactic fermentation followed and further 15 months of ageing on its fine lees. The other 20% went into stainless steel to retain its fresh and vibrant character to be married again before bottling. No fining and only light filtration.
Alcohol Volume: 14.5%
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough, New Zealand